View the trip on Google Maps as recorded by my SPoT satellite tracker:

Click here for the trip south. (finished 31May10)
Click here for the trip north. (finished 18Jun10)

Click here to read the blog in chronological order


Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 8: 750 miles and 12 hours in the saddle yesterday. Whew. That was truly an epic day.

I spent the night in Del Rio, Texas. Only 6 hours left to Monterrey!

I stopped for fuel a hundred miles out of Tucson and noticed a steady drip of oil from the bottom of the motorcycle. Not good. I decided to keep going. After 250 miles, at the next stop in El Paso, TX, it was still dripping, and the whole bottom of the bike was covered in oil. I decided to take a closer look. After some sleuthing, I discovered the oil drain plug was loose in its socket! Easily turned with fingers. The mechanic never tightened it. NOT good. Thank goodness it didn't fall out all together somewhere on the road, or I'd have lost all the oil. As it is, the oil level is midway on the dipstick, and coincidentally I only lost the amount that they overfilled the bike with. I tightened it with a wrench and got back on my way. No oil leaks seen afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment