View the trip on Google Maps as recorded by my SPoT satellite tracker:

Click here for the trip south. (finished 31May10)
Click here for the trip north. (finished 18Jun10)

Click here to read the blog in chronological order


Wednesday, April 28, 2010


Day 18 & 19: The last couple days Hans and I spent together in the mountain town of Iturbide, 2-3 hours southwest of Monterrey. We rented the upper floor of a duplex for $26 each night. Yesterday we met up with a Czech guy that Hans knows, named Radko. I at first suspected he was not really Czech, because when I greeted him in his native tongue, he just looked at me funny.

We descended Las Encondidas, which is a series of 12 rappels down a cascade of nearly a vertical kilometer. It reminded me very much of a canyon in the San Gabriel mtns north of LA -- low flow, thigh deep pools at the bottom, lots of foliage next to the waterflow. Radko was a kick -- he is a professor and on the hike back to the top he kept grabbing different species of plants and telling me to eat them -- some tasted like spearmint, another like sugar, etc. Then he'd tell me the scientific name (in Spanish, so none of the names stuck with me), but at least I trusted him that I wasn't eating anything harmful :) It was a pleasant way to spend the day, and the lady of the house was really sweet, bringing us tea and cookies afterward.

Today Hans and I drove to a sculptor's house in a nearby town, saw the sculptor's alabaster mine, and went to his house where Hans asked to include him in a project of local artisans that he's working on. The sculptor was a really nice grandfatherly type -- well dressed, and showed us many of his current and past projects. Now, I'm back at the hostel, planning where to ride south, on the next phase of my trip.

1 comment: