View the trip on Google Maps as recorded by my SPoT satellite tracker:

Click here for the trip south. (finished 31May10)
Click here for the trip north. (finished 18Jun10)

Click here to read the blog in chronological order


Sunday, April 25, 2010



Day 16: I was able to descend Matacanes today! Bright blue sky and a couple puffy white clouds. I was on the bike riding from the hostel at 4:20 am today to meet Chuy’s group at the Cola de Caballo at 5am. His two guides, Edgar and Miguel, had 6 clients to lead down. We had a great time. I go so often with experienced people, and occasionally newbies to the sport but who do have some training, that it’s really interesting for me to see a group of people with no skills in a moderately difficult canyon. I think the folks today were exhausted by the end.

I suggested to Hans that we repeat the via ferrata, and he has another canyon in mind. At this rate I’ll never actually head south! At least the hostel is $12 per night.

I am getting a little concerned about my goal. I am truly having a lot of fun here in Monterrey, but Bing maps is telling me it's around 1500 miles to Guatemala. I need to get on the road soon if I even have a hope of getting this accomplished...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Michelle for this post on Matacanes, we went with gaia xtreme tours it was so cool !
    http://www.gaiaxtreme.com
    Next time let's do Hidrofobia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed Matacanes! Hidrofobia is also a great canyon -- lots of fun. Keep adventuring!

    ReplyDelete