View the trip on Google Maps as recorded by my SPoT satellite tracker:

Click here for the trip south. (finished 31May10)
Click here for the trip north. (finished 18Jun10)

Click here to read the blog in chronological order


Thursday, May 6, 2010

Going to Mexico City was a big detour on my route, and I went expressly for the hope that it would be possible to rekindle relationships with my aunt, uncle, & two cousins that live there. Due to geographical distances I haven't been able to know them my whole adult life. I knew there was a significant chance it would not work out. In the end, I stayed in town for 72 hours, but only 2 of those hours (the first two) were spent with my aunt and uncle.

I am glad that meeting happened at least -- this particular aunt has always been my favorite (of the 4 I have) -- I have always thought she was so adventurous, and also the most beautiful (still). But I was very disappointed that there was no interest or effort on the part of my cousins to meet with me, and that more than just that first meeting for lunch couldn't be arranged. Needless to say this type of circumstance is so rare -- it had not happened in 18 years, and may never again. It shook me up for a few days, and I'm still saddened by it.

No comments: