View the trip on Google Maps as recorded by my SPoT satellite tracker:

Click here for the trip south. (finished 31May10)
Click here for the trip north. (finished 18Jun10)

Click here to read the blog in chronological order


Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 26: My aunt ("tia" in Spanish, which I rather prefer to the English word) and uncle ("tio") live in Mexico City -- she for 44 years, since she was 18. I last saw the two of them when I stayed at their house for a couple days when I was 17, which was 18 years ago.

I'd sent her an e-mail a couple weeks ago mentioning I'd be in town and perhaps we could meet. I was very excited when I got a reply that they would be free! We've been coordinating back and forth since my ride down is slightly unpredictable, and it has been one of the things I'd looked forward to the most. This morning was the big day, and I left Jacala at 9am and raced to make a lunch appt with them at 2pm near downtown Mexico City.

I arrived (about 15 minutes late) and we had a marvelous lunch at the very nice restaurant they had selected. We caught up on everything, family, work, life, etc. But then it came time to say goodbye. They left, and I'd been so excited about meeting them, I didn't realize until afterward that I'd forgotten to take out my camera for a picture of us together. :( Also, I have two cousins that live here in the city (my tia's sons) who I haven't seen since I was single digits in age, but although we talked about them, there wasn't a mention of us meeting up, so I guess I won't see them this time either.

I'm going to be here in Mexico City for the next couple days at least, so I have plenty of time to see them more, but that unfortunately isn't going to happen, so I'm feeling a bit deflated at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment