View the trip on Google Maps as recorded by my SPoT satellite tracker:

Click here for the trip south. (finished 31May10)
Click here for the trip north. (finished 18Jun10)

Click here to read the blog in chronological order


Tuesday, May 11, 2010


Day 32 (afternoon) - A hundred miles from Villahermosa is Palenque, a "medium sized" site of Mayan ruins, which is located right in the front range where the flatlands of Chiapas rise into the mountains behind. It is in a beautiful spot up on the mountainside and commands a vast view of the plains below.

The site closes at 5pm and I got there right at 4 (I spent a little too much time at the zoo I guess :), so they let me in for free. Even with just an hour, I was able to walk around and see most of what is available there, and not roped off. Click here for a video.

Palenque was smaller than I anticipated, but did have the best preserved architecture of the three sites I'd been at so far (Teotihuacan & El Tajin being the others). I'd read that howler monkeys live in the woods surrounding the site and you can sometimes hear them, but I guess this day they were saving their voices because I didn't hear them.

I have to admit though, that something about these sites is a bit underwhelming for me. I know they were built without iron or the wheel, but they had centuries -- thousands and thousands of people over dozens of generations. Perhaps it's because I went to Peru last summer and saw what the Incas were able to accomplish -- their craftsmanship is absolutely stunning in comparison (and Machu Picchu is out of this world beautiful).

No comments:

Post a Comment