View the trip on Google Maps as recorded by my SPoT satellite tracker:

Click here for the trip south. (finished 31May10)
Click here for the trip north. (finished 18Jun10)

Click here to read the blog in chronological order


Monday, May 10, 2010


Day 31: Today was a big travel day. I needed to go nearly 300 miles from Veracruz to Villahermosa. So I didn't have a lot of time to dilly dally (and don't have a lot to report), but in the morning...

...I headed over to the Spanish fort, San Juan de Ulua. This is where the ending of Romancing the Stone was filmed. I was really excited to see it (it's a famous fort), but it was closed!! It is Monday, and lots of stuff is closed on Mondays in Mexico. Oh well. I thought of trying to talk my way in (not that I'd have any chance of doing so, of course), but saw that they were installing a new bridge to the fort, and unloading it from the trailer. So even if I got through the gate no way of getting into the fort itself :)

I caught a delicious meal of fresh fish, Veracruz style (basically with sauteed red peppers and onions on top), and started the long, HOT (100 deg+) ride.

I was nearly wiped out (financially) by the bloody toll booths! I paid over 500 pesos in tolls to get there, that's $50. It's frustrating they charge my little bike the same as a big SUV full of people. This along with the $30 per night hotel rooms are killing my budget.

C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment