View the trip on Google Maps as recorded by my SPoT satellite tracker:

Click here for the trip south. (finished 31May10)
Click here for the trip north. (finished 18Jun10)

Click here to read the blog in chronological order


Thursday, September 5, 2013

Epilogue:

I safely arrived home on 18 Jun 2010, and never finished the entries for my last week and a half of riding up the Pacific coast of Mexico. Mostly because it was rather anti-climactic after those last few days in Guatemala. After re-entering Mexico, I immediately felt safe and bored.

Oh sure, I still had some adventures on the way back, but it took only 10 days and not a whole lot happened, relatively speaking. I couch-surfed several times, rode through a lightning storm (it was striking the ground on fields next to the road), fed horses at a ranch I stayed at, poked my head in the exit of Chorreodero cave, jogged along the beach in Puerto Escondido and had a room that opened onto the sand for $20, watched the cliff-divers in Acapulco, took a 14hr overnight ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz (and gladly paid $60 extra for a personal state-room instead of the open seating), rode through 110 deg heat in Baja, and so on. But it was nowhere near the excitement and sense of adventure I experienced in Guatemala.

One happening of note: I was selected for 'secondary inspection' at the border crossing when re-entering the US in Tijuana. The border agent asked me what I did for a living and I couldn't remember. I told him I had just ridden up from Guatemala. He immediately called security over. The secondary inspection guys were really cool though and said the other guy usually drives a desk, and they were really intrigued and impressed with the trip.

This was the greatest trip of my life and I dearly hope to repeat it someday, only extending it and riding all the way to the end of the earth in Tierra del Fuego, "Land of Fire", at the southern tip of Argentina.

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Hi michelle
    I have just arrived in Guatemala and am going to be spending about 3 months here riding around the country hopefully. Having read a bit about your adventure, I would love some advice and some info on hidden gems. Please can you contact me on menno.4@hotmail.com.
    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete